Welcome back from the weekend. Did you participate in the Fishing Derby? If you did, we hope that you stayed warm, enjoyed the two day event and plan on going back next year. With Laramie staying rather cold, today seems like a great day to stay in and focus on activities that are indoors. Here is your Daily Dose brought to you by the Laramie Area Chamber of Commerce.
- 3 pounds thawed, deveined, shelled, frozen shrimp with tails on
- 5 large yellow onions, halved and sliced to ¼ inch segments
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red pepper chili flakes
- 2 cups good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet paprika
- 2 head of broccoli florets, cleaned and washed
- 1 package linguine pasta
- 6 cups water to boil
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely minced
- 2/3 cup pecorino romano cheese, finely grated
- In a large skillet heat the oil and sauté the garlic until fragrant on a medium high heat. Add the onions and chili flakes, cooking the onions until very soft, slightly caramelized, approximately 5 to 8 minutes. Add the paprika
- Meanwhile, put the pasta water on to boil at high heat. Once it is at a rambling boil, add the pasta following the packaging’s instructions to cook, usually 8 to 12 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, covering the pot allowing the vegetables to steam. Add the salt. When tender, add the shrimp, covering the pot once again until the shrimp are curled, pink and tender, no more than 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta when ready in a colander, add to the oil, shrimp and broccoli, mixing everything well. Add the pecorino romano and the parsley, coating the entire dish generously. Always taste for seasoning, adding salt and chili flakes if desired.
2. Laramie Recreation Center. If you are starting to feel the weight of the holidays drag you down start hitting the gym with a friend or family member. You can join the rec center monthly or for 6-12 months, whatever works best for you. They have everything from dry land workout areas to a lap pool for all of you that workout best in water.